Sat in the office on this warm, summery August afternoon, I can’t help but remember a trip I made across Portugal some time back. This road trip, around some of the country’s best beaches, made me fall in love with Portugal, its traditions, countryside and food.
So, fasten your seatbelts ladies and gentlemen, and accompany me on an unforgettable voyage around Portugal’s 10 best beaches.
1. Praia Zambujeira do Mar. Located in a little town in Alentejo, this beach is synonymous with nature and is the ideal place to practice water sports.
2. Praia do Portinho (also in Alentejo). With not a town in sight, this is the perfect spot for relaxation and a day on the beach.
3. Praia Santa Cruz (30 minutes from Lisbon). Do you like surfing? Then this is the beach for you. Also, if you’re lucky and the sky is clear, you can even see the lighthouse on Cape Carvoeiro.
4. Ilha de Baleal (close to Peniche). A visit to this beach with its rocks and sandy coves is essential!
5. Praia do Baleal. On the island of the same name, you’ll find this beach full of surf fans.
6. Praia Dona Ana (Algarve). You cannot visit Portugal without a trip to the Algarve. And this beach dazzles with its transparent waters and white sand. It’s my favourite
7. Praia dos Caneiros. We’re still in the Algarve and this beach is a haven of peace. It’s almost empty and is perfect for a relaxing day out.
8. Praia da Rocha. Before we leave the Algarve, we can’t leave without mentioning this beach which, although too busy for me, is a must-see.
9. Praia Foz do Arelho (Obidos). Obidos Lagoon makes its way to the Atlantic Ocean here and it is really beautiful. There is also a little restaurant on the beach that serves really yummy food.
10. Porto Santo (Madeira). Unfortunately, I couldn’t fly to the island of Madeira during that trip – I want to go back as soon as possible – but I like this beach so much that I couldn’t help adding it to the list.